Man in Alicante bitten by Spider that is more venomous than a cobra
Written by Cool Radio Spain on June 7, 2019
Article by: Euro Weekly News
A MAN was hospitalised for 10 days in Spain after being bitten by a spider whose venom is 15 times more toxic than that of a cobra.
Manuel Gil from Elda, Alicante, sought medical help after he was bitten and the wound became infected. Although he has now returned home, he still has necrosis in his leg and may face an operation if antibiotics fail to solve the problem.
A couple from Sax and a woman from Elda have also needed medical attention after being bitten by Chilean Recluse spider, known in Spain as brown or corner spiders. — Advertisement —
One of the women, Miranda Navarro, has been attending a health centre for a month and a half to have her bite treated and prevent it from becoming infected.
Sax Town Hall told Navarro they can’t do anything. In Elda they say that for the moment they will do nothing and the health authorities deny that there is a plague.
This sort of spider usually hides in cracks and corners. It also moves very quickly. Experts say that it is normally nocturnal but it is active all year round and can be dangerous, as its bite can lead to severe reactions and even death.
The Chilean Recluse measures 8mm (30 mm with legs extended). It is brown and has marks on the side of the thorax with a black violin-shaped line. Unusually, it only has six eyes. Its venom can be deadly, being 15 times more toxic than a cobra and 10 times say that not everyone is equally affected by its bite.